Nature of Teaching:
In its broadest sense, teaching is a process that facilitates learning. Teaching is the specialized application of knowledge, skills and attributes designed to provide unique service to meet the educational needs of the individual and of society. The choice of learning activities whereby the goals of education are realized in the school is the responsibility of the teaching profession.
In addition to providing students with learning opportunities to meet curriculum outcomes, teaching emphasizes the development of values and guides students in their social relationships. Teachers employ practices that develop positive self-concept in students. Although the work of teachers typically takes place in a classroom setting, the direct interaction between teacher and student is the single most important element in teaching.
1. Dynamic, Social & Humane: Influenced by human & social factors
2. An Art & Science: Exercise of being systematic & including talent & creativity
3. Diverse in Application: There are various forms of teaching
Objectives of Teaching
Teacher education has to become more sensitive to the emerging demands from the school system. For this, it has to prepare teachers for a dual role of;
Encouraging, supportive and humane facilitator in teaching learning situations who enables learners (students) to discover their talents, to realize their physical and intellectual potentialities to the fullest, to develop character and desirable social and human values to function as responsible citizens; and,
An active member of the group of persons who make conscious effort to contribute towards the process of renewal of school curriculum to maintain its relevance to the changing societal needs and personal needs of learners, keeping in view the experiences gained in the past and the concerns and imperatives that have emerged in the light of changing national development goals and educational priorities.
These expectations suggest that teacher operates in a larger context and its dynamics as well as concerns impinge upon her functioning. That is to say, teacher has to be responsive and sensitive to the social contexts of education, the various disparities in the background of learners as well as in the macro national and global contexts, national concerns for achieving the goals of equity, parity, social justice as also excellence
Video: 1 (Language: Mix of English and Hindi)
To be able to realize such expectations, TE has to comprise such features as would enable the student teachers to
- Care for children, and who love to be with them;
- Understand children within social, cultural and political contexts;
- View learning as a search for meaning out of personal experience;
- Understand the way learning occurs, possible ways of creating conductive conditions for learning, differences among students in respect of the kind, pace and styles of learning.
- View knowledge generation as a continuously evolving process of reflective learning.
- Be receptive and constantly learning.
- View learning as a search for meaning out of personal experience, and knowledge generation as a continuously evolving process of reflective learning.
- View knowledge not as an external reality embedded in textbooks, but as constructed in the shared context of teaching learning and personal experience.
- Own responsibility towards society, and work to build a better world.
- Appreciate the potential of productive work and hands-on experience as a pedagogic medium both inside and outside the classroom.
- Analyze the curricular framework, policy implications and texts. Have a sound knowledge base and basic proficiency in language.
- The objectives of teacher education would therefore be to, Provide opportunities to observe and engage with children, communicate with and relate to children Provide opportunities for self-learning, reflection, assimilation and articulation of new ideas; developing capacities for self directed learning and the ability to think, be self-critical and to work in groups.
- Provide opportunities for understanding self and others (including one‘s beliefs, assumptions and emotions); developing the ability for self analysis, self-evaluation, adaptability, flexibility, creativity and innovation.
- Provide opportunities to enhance understanding, knowledge and examine disciplinary knowledge and social realities, relate subject matter with the social milieu and develop critical thinking.
- Provide opportunities to develop professional skills in pedagogy, observation, documentation, analysis, drama, craft, story-telling and reflective inquiry.
The most remarkable objectives of teaching are
1. Au Round Development of a Learner: The prime objective of teaching is the all round development of the learner that includes his physical, mental and spiritual or moral development. This objective is the basis of Gandhi’s idea of basic education.
2. Behavior change: The education should be imparted to a learner in such a way that it reflects the attitude, behavior and personality of the learner.
3. Development of Adjustment The manner of teaching should be such that it makes the pupils feel at home in his class room. The teacher has to ensure that the learner is well adjusted to the environment which includes his classmates, school mates and other members of his society at large.
4. Learner’s Mental Ability The teacher should take into account the mental ability of the pupils while teaching. This will enable the teacher to make himself more communicative with his students and in turn the students will have a better understanding of what is being taught to them.
5. Transmission of Knowledge The process of teaching should ensure that the knowledge is transmitted from the teacher to the pupil. For achieving this objective, the teaching need to be very communicative and the process of teaching should ensure the pupil participation in it. The more the pupil are encouraged to interact with the teacher, the more the chances of transmission of knowledge.
6. Assimilation of Lessons Teaching does not stop at delivering lectures and giving home tasks to the students. It has to be responsible for the assimilation of what is taught to the students. The manner of teaching should be pleasant enough to make the students grasp whatever they are taught.
7. Friendly Environment One of the primary objectives of teaching is to make the environment of the place of teaching more friendly and conducive to learning. His all attention should remain focused to the teaching and he, should not get irritated with the non-conducive atmosphere of the class room.